Sometimes in life it can be hard to step away from things we have loved but that may no longer be good for us. As usual I’m referring to video games, and one in particular that has been a source of both long-term pleasure and sleep-forsaken regret: Destiny.
If like me you can relate just a little too easily with the members of this fictional Destiny Support Group then take a few moments to complete the quick survey below. It may turn out to be the most valuable thing you do today…
The ‘Should I Quit Destiny’ Quiz
1. Does the mere thought of Destiny’s bullet-riddled universe fill you with excitement?
It did, once upon a time… (+1)
2. Do you have a large network of friends with whom you play regularly?
I’ve played solo for weeks, literally (+5)
3. Do the acronyms ‘FPS PvP’ get your pulse racing in ancipation?
That’s the Crucible. You must never go there, Simba (-2)
4. Do you think that labouring for many hours to collect attractive things locked within a temporary, purely digital existence is a little bit crazy?
Can’t answer. I’m busy grinding for a better ghost shell (+5)
5. Do you leave each Destiny session with a sense of satisfaction, achievement or enjoyment?
6. Has playing Destiny ever resulted in damage to your controller, either through overuse (it happens) or rage-induced impact?
More than once, but I’ve got spare parts so it’s all good (+4)
7. Has playing Destiny ever resulted in you being late or absent from work, family or other real life commitments?
Yes, but I cleared all my bounties so no problem (+5)
8. Do you regularly forgo sleep in order to play more Destiny?
Multiple times per week (+5)
9. Would you be more healthy, successful or happy if you were free of thinking about and committing time to Destiny for a whole month?
How can you ask me that? (+5)
I’ve gone on Destiny Detox before but it’s under control now (0)
10. Have you explored every aspect of the Destiny companion app?
And read the articles (+4)
11. Do you value graphics over storyline?
I would play Destiny at 480p if I had to (+5)
12. Do you jump at the chance to complete missions for Cayde-6 simply because you get to hear Nathan Fillion’s lines?
Who’s Nathan Fillion? (-2)
13. Do you think Zavala and The Speaker are rubbish leaders?
I’d follow those two anywhere (+4)
14. Can you recite the flavour text of any legendary items by memory?
15. Do you maintain a Destiny ‘to-do list’ in some form or other?
Me? Of course not. That memo’s just a shopping list for later (+3)
Now tally up your points and be honest.
If your score is between -5 and 0 then I don’t know why you bothered with this quiz. You either don’t play Destiny or have a ridiculously healthy relationship with video games.
If your score was between 0 and 25 then you show no signs of Destiny Dependence. Good work, Guardian!
If your score was between 26 and 45 then you exhibit a significant Destiny Dependence risk factor. Perhaps seek out an accountability partner (family member, non-Destiny-playing friend, talking pet) to help ensure that your feelings for the game don’t venture from attraction into compulsion or addiction territory. Trust their judgement.
If your score was between 46 and 59 then you need to take a break. Right now. Absolutely no more Destiny until you’ve proven that you can stay sober. Here are some real websites that can offer some info and help:
N.B. There is no feedback for respondents with a score of 60; they’re too busy patrolling Venus or beating King’s Fall (again) right now and don’t have time for this kind of frippery*.
For the record, my score was 29.
If you know someone who would definitely score 60 please contact them and point them in the direction of professional assistance. Much of this post is in jest, but addiction of any kind is a serious issue and highly damaging.